Friday, November 20, 2015

Bankside Gallery and Tate Modern Visit

On Sunday, along with collecting material on people for my project, I also visited the Tate Modern and the Bankside Gallery. Overall I didn't overly enjoy the Tate - it was interesting to see the weird and odd modern art, but I didn't find much of a connection with any of the work. In fact, the thing that interested me the most about the Tate was the building itself, with the large open space and strange entrances. In the main foyer there was an exhibit that I liked as well, but this was probably due to the size of it and the way all the triangles created a pattern.

Iona admiring an inspiring grey canvas




In contrast to the Tate Modern, I really enjoyed the Bankside Gallery. Although it is much smaller than the Tate (one room as opposed to floors of exhibitions), I felt allot more of a connection to the work there. They were celebrating 50 years of the Printmaking Council, and so were featuring artists prints. Usually I stick to painting or drawing, however after seeing what can be done with etching and
linos, it has inspired me to explore that medium more. I wasn't sure if I could take photos of the work there, but I did note down some artists that liked, so I could look at them again later; Pamela Hare, Eleanor Durbin, Ros Morely, Sumi Perera.



Links -
Tate Modern
Bankside Gallery
Printmakers Council

No comments:

Post a Comment