Sunday, December 27, 2015

Dover, Deal and Sandwich

For the Christmas and boxing day weekend I'm in Kent, so yesterday we went exploring some parts I haven't visited before; the white cliffs of Dover, Deal and Sandwich.
Quick sketch of the cliffs in marker pen

Dover made me realise that Christmas and Boxing Day make people do crazy things. Although it's mild for December, I still wouldn't fancy swimming in the sea by the cliffs... unlike two guys in santa hats - I couldn't work out if it was for charity or if they just wanted to go for a swim. I also felt like the 'white cliffs of Dover' should be renamed to be the 'off-white cliffs of Dover'.

After Dover we drove up along the coast, making our way to Sandwich and came across Deal, with it's striking, brutalist style pier. It looked more like somesort of marine military base than a walkway to a restaurant. Amongst all the traditional 'beach holiday' architecture of Deal, this pier stood out in extreme contrast - part of the reason why I loved it so much.









 Lastly, going on from Deal we ended up in Sandwich, where we were going to have a sandwich before realising it was too early to eat, and ended up just having a drink instead. 

Sketch of the pub in Sandwich using fineliner

No comments:

Post a Comment